Early Printed Books is committed to balancing the need to know how this website is being used with the desire to know as little as possible about the users who visit. Some use of visitor analytics is necessary to identify how to improve the site and to demonstrate the site’s value as a resource. But your information should belong to you and shouldn’t follow you around the web unnecessarily. (Plus, thanks to rules like GDPR, it’s no longer allowed in many places!)
Early Printed Books (www.earlyprintedbooks.com) is owned and administered by Sarah Werner. You can contact her through the site or directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Early Printed Books uses Matomo (formerly Piwik), a self-hosted privacy-compliant platform, to provide user analytics in part because it provides a greater deal of control of what information is tracked.
Below are some of the details of what information is captured when you visit this site:
- Partially-masked user IP address (the last two bytes are anonymized: 192.168.xxx.xxx)
- Date and time of the request
- Title of the page being viewed (Page Title)
- URL of the page being viewed (Page URL)
- URL of the page that was viewed prior to the current page (Referrer URL)
- Screen resolution being used
- Time in local user’s timezone
- Files that were clicked and downloaded (Download)
- Links to an outside domain that were clicked (Outlink)
- Pages generation time (the time it takes for webpages to be generated by the webserver and then downloaded by the user: Page speed)
- Location of the user: country, region, city, approximate latitude and longitude (Geolocation)
- Main Language of the browser being used (
- User Agent of the browser being used (
- From the User-Agent, we use our Universal Device Detection library to detect the browser, operating system, device used (desktop, tablet, mobile, tv, cars, console, etc.), brand and model.
- Some information is also stored in first party cookies and then collected by Matomo:
- Random unique Visitor ID
- Time of the first visit for this user
- Time of the previous visit for this user
- Number of visits for this user
This information is retained in logs that are only accessible by the administrator and owner of Early Printed Books. No information that is gathered through analytics is shared with any other entity.
Early Printed Books respects Do Not Track preferences; if you have Do Not Track enabled, Matamo will not track your visits in its analytics.
If you submit information through any of the forms on this site, that is emailed to Sarah Werner and stored on the website. None of it—including your email address—is shared, and your email address will not be used to contact you beyond how is specified on the form.